Tuesday, July 31, 2012

No Deal

I don't have a lot to say. I didn't want Chase Headley traded. He wasn't traded. This is good.

I don't know how long Chase will be a Padre. I hope for many years to come.

I'm not going to pretend to know what the front office's plan for the team is going forward. I don't even know who the front office is going to be going forward.

I'm happy to still have Chase Headley. I think he's better than Jedd Gyorko. I hope he's extended. I hope Gyorko can either play second base or get the Padres something valuable in trade. I don't know what's going to happen.

I would like to see the Padres try to compete in 2013, or at least build towards competing in 2014. I think that is probably the plan. I don't know. If they are going to try, they're going to have to make some serious moves and add a significant amount of payroll in the offseason. We'll see what happens.

Tonight I'm going to drink a beer and watch Chase Headley hit 3rd for the Padres, and be thankful he's still on the team.

2 comments:

  1. One of the best Trading deadline moves ever.. no one traded.. a couple players extended.. nice

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it was a good deadline with no moves, and I also agree Headley is a better bet to keep than Gyorko. I've seen his "thick lower body" - piano legs and a big ass. He won't field like Chace, he won't run first-to-third like Chase and he won't steal bases like Chase.

    He'll be so stationary, he'll likely move from 3rd to 1st to DH, and there's no proof he can hit major league pitching. I'll give him more power potential than Chase, but it'll be a few years before anyone sees it, and Chase at 28 is just entering his prime years.

    The problem is that Josh is a wheeler-dealer and has already mentioned the off-season as a better time to make the kind of trade he'd like involving Chase and high-end prospects. I like Josh's judgement, but I hope the Fowler group pushes him to improve the MAJOR LEAGUE team instead of stocking the minors. That would preclude trading Headley and depending on an unproven player's future development.

    ReplyDelete